Double-Trouble Monday: Episode 2

Reviews: Strange Angels and Blue Moon

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

Publisher: Razorbill (May 14, 2009)
Price: $7.99 from Amazon
Summary:
Dad? Zombie.
Mom? Long gone.
Me? Well, that's the scary part. [more on goodreads]

Review: I just realized I posted this in a "In My Mailbox" meme about a month ago, but never really got around to reviewing this. So here it is; please forgive me?
Strange Angels was definitely a large mix of the paranormal, with vampires, werewolves, zombies, and more. And they weren't just the stereotypical ones, the creatures had slightly different twists to them that made the book unique. I would definitely say the action was pretty awesome, with a flaming, huge dog and all, but Dru, the heroine and kick-butt slayer, could use some work. At the beginning, Dru is very fickle after her dad is turned into a zombie; sometimes she is strong and stands up to her grief, other times she's completely overwhelmed by it. Admittedly, the situation was dire, but she didn't exactly earn my respect early on. Overall, though, I did think Dru was an independent girl that does her best to deal with life, and I did like her towards the end. Strange Angels was a rollercoaster ride of action and drama, and though there were a lot of loose ends at the end, this book does show future potential in the series.
Guy Prospects: To tell the truth, I don't even know who was the main romantic prospect here. But both options are pretty wicked (literally, hot and ass-kicking)! :)
Sentence Sum-up: Strange Angels was an enjoyable read, but seemed more like an introduction to me then a solid first book (aka. look for the sequel!).
Buy it? I would say borrow it from the library.

Rating:




Blue Moon by Alyson Noël
The Immortals #2

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; 1 edition (July 7, 2009)
Price: $9.99 from Amazon
Summary:
Review: What can I say? I was just really dissapointed by Blue Moon. I enjoyed the first book of the series, Evermore, and I expected the sequel to be just as good, if not better. However, Blue Moon was basically a downward spiral of misfortune, despair, and bad luck.
Eager to learn everything she can about her new abilities as an Immortal, Ever turns to her beloved Damen to show her the way. But just as her powers are increasing, Damen’s are waning. [more on goodreads]

First of all, I want to get out there that Ever isn't exactly a strong heroine. In fact, I would say she is very loose and dependent. I usually don't like weak characters, but I understood Ever's weakness in the face of Damen in all his glory. But in Blue Moon, Ever's naivety is taken to a whole new level. She's so trustful and doesn't question things like she should, considering the dangers of her situation. What should you do when you face trouble? Run. What do you do when your former boyfriend calls you a "stalker?" Say nothing. Basically, Ever annoyed me to no end, and I had a hard time finishing this book. The other characters were also not exactly empathy-provoking. Another main contributing factor was that Blue Moon was pretty much a thoroughly depressing book. Ever starts off happy, but from there, nothing works out right. I don't always need a happy ending, but complete misfortune and loss over-and-over again is just completely discouraging.
Guy Prospects: Damen is a major, and I mean in-your-face, jerk. Admittedly, he's not exactly in his right mind, but he's just so shallow and materialistic that it was hard for me to take. Another guy who gets introduced Blue Moon, is completely evil and not hot to me at all. Especially since Ever just "knows" he's bad from the moment she meets him.
Sentence Sum-Up: Though Blue Moon did have fairly decent writing and plot, it was mainly a hard-to-read, depressing dissapointment, but I'll still hold out hope for Shadowland, the third book in the series!
Buy it? Definitely not. Borrow it if you want, but I would say that if you simply searched up the synopsis, that would be good enough to proceed onto the next book in the series.

Rating:



Currently Reading:



Impossible by Nancy Werlin
Page 66 out of 384

-- It's pretty good so far! The writing is solid, and the introduction is intriguing. Can't wait to read more! :)