Interview: Kimberly Derting

Ahh, this is a bit late coming (sorry, Kimberly!), but I'm still excited to welcome the amazing debut author of The Body Finder, Kimberly Derting! I have to admit I haven't read the book yet, but I've ordered it and it should be coming soon, so watch out for a review. I can't wait to receive my copy, and I hope after this interview, you'll feel that way too! :)

Very Click-able Links: {website}, {blog}, {goodreads}, {amazon}

Without further ado...

1. You have three words to describe The Body Finder; what are they?

The… Body… Finder  (I knew that title would come in handy someday!) 

 2. How did the story of The Body Finder come to you? Was it first the characters, a special event, etc.?

When our friends ask me this question, my husband will tell them that it was all his idea and that he should be my co-author.  But what really happened is that we were driving one day, brainstorming book ideas, when he said something about a boy who could find dead bodies.  After hearing that, I was practically racing through the door to start writing about Violet and her creepy ability.  So, I guess he deserves a little bit of the credit.  J

3. Do you ever wish that you shared Violet's knack for finding and tracing dead bodies?

Umm….no way, I’m a total scaredy cat!  I’m very happy to leave the body finding to Violet.

4. Throwing a bone to the fangirls here, can you describe Jay Heaton, Violet's love interest, for us? ;)

 Jay is a boy who doesn’t really know how great he is.  He is very sweet and funny, but when it comes to protecting Violet, there is nothing he wouldn’t do for her.

5. Why did you choose to gear The Body Finder towards young adults? Is there any particular aspect of YA fiction that appeals to you (ie. teen emotions)?

I’m guessing that since I can’t even remember the last time I DIDN’T have a teenager in the house that must have something to do with it. In my experience, teens are just so genuine (good or bad) and emotionally charged.  Everything they experience is right on the surface.  And even when they’re trying to hide their feelings, what they’re experiencing is so intense.  They’re just not as jaded as most adults yet.  I really love exploring that part of life.

6. Are you surprised by all the hype and excitement The Body Finder has generated?

I’m thrilled with how the book has been received so far!  The team at HarperCollins has done an amazing job, and I couldn’t be happier with how everything is coming together.  Of course, next week I’ll be an emotional wreck because that’s how I roll.      

7. In your Q&A, you mentioned that you love watching people fall and run into things. (I have to admit that I share this "interest.") Using your superior writer's perspective, can you attempt explaining this phenomenon?

My husband calls me a simpleton…that pretty much sums it up!  J

8. You also mentioned that you love anything dark and twisted. What started your love for all things dark?

When I was growing up, we didn’t have the huge variety in YA that there is today so I read my mom’s books.  At the time, she read a lot of Stephen King, and in turn I was fairly young when I read books like The Shining and Salem’s Lot.  So yes, I’m going to blame my dark and twisted nature on Mr. King!

9. If you could invent any writing-related item, what would your creation be called and what would it do?

Hmm, how about something that will let me freeze time so I can get more writing done?  Where is Hiro Nakamura when you need him?

10. Any projects you're planning to or currently working on now?

I’m working on several things right now, thank you for asking.  (See how I answered without really answering?)

11. Anything else you'd like to share?

Just that I loved answering your questions and had a great time!  Thanks so much for having me!

And thank you, Kimberly, for dropping by!

Lol, I absolutely loved Kimberly's answers, and I can't wait to read about Jay for real. Also want to give a shout out for The Body Finder's release date, which is TODAY!!  And Kimberly has some cute pictures with hilarious captions of her release and post-release parties on her blog. So, are you excited to read The Body Finder as I am? :D