Double-Trouble Monday: Episode 4

Changing up my Double-Trouble Monday yet again. I sometimes feel like I'm obligated to do all these really literal ratings when I'm reading my books, so I'm going to make these posts: 1) two books and what I'm currently reading, 2) straight feelings and general rating(s), 3) EVERY WEEK (hopefully)! The idea's still the same, that I often read a lot of books that I want to get some reviews out for but don't really feel like writing a full-blown review. And it's a nice break from all my other formatted reviews. :)

Reviews: Oh. My. Gods. and Goddess Boot Camp


Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Series: Oh. My. Gods. #1
Published: Speak; Reprint edition (May 14, 2009)
Paperback: 288 pages




Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs

Series: Oh. My. Gods. #2
Published: Dutton Juvenile (June 11, 2009)
Hardcover: 224 pages



My thoughts on both: So adorable!! These were definitely fun, light reads, and I loved the mythical references. The main girl, Phoebe, starts off by traveling with her newly-married mom to her stepfather's house in an island far, far away. But this is no fairytale. On the boat ride there, she finds out that not only is her new stepfather a descendant from a Greek god, but she's also going to be the only human attending a boarding school that's 100% gods descended. Can you say "surprise?!"

I actually ended up enjoying these books a lot more than I thought I would. I went in looking, and literally looking at the cute covers, for a fluffy, read-once-and-you're-done kind of read. I knew that these two wouldn't be very deep books, since they're not intended to be, but I didn't bargain for some nicely mixed in gods' slang, intriguing romances and small mysteries, and a full-fledged gods' descendants' power and hierarchical system! I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I felt myself feeling with Phoebe as the new kid and got so caught up in the drama that I couldn't put the books down; I literally devoured them one after another. The drool-worthy, delectible Hercules boy is oh-my-gods, such a plus. It's obvious who Phoebe is going to end up with, but that didn't keep my from cheering for her when things were looking up, and sympathizing with her when her family and friend relationships reached some rocky grounds. I felt frustrated with her at times for how naive she was, but, generally, I liked her. And her running passion made her all the more relateable (my passion: books).

Two-Sentence Summary (one for each): Unbelieavably cute plots and setting! Not something that you should read if you're looking for a deep, tear-wrenching book, but these are definitely solid, light reads that teach some good lessons about family, friends, and ambition... I think I might be cheating (do ellipses count?), but I recommend having these two books at the same time if you peek at Oh. My. Gods. and decide you like it!

Overall Rating:



Currently Reading:

... I don't know. I just finished Eyes Like Stars (would you like a review?), and I'm sort of re-reading Hearts at Stake because I remembered I liked and wanted to review it. I'm planning on starting Scones and Sensibility soon, which I mentioned in this week's IMM-5, though I think I might finally get around to reading Hate List too. Really don't know what took me so long.

Any recently read books that you'd like to share your thoughts about? :)