Author Interview: Lindsay Eland

I've had the fortune of interviewing Lindsay Eland, who's debuting with her book Scones and Sensibility on December 22. It's a little different  from the usual in that her book is intended for middle schoolers (age 9-12), but I thought the premise and cover were extremely adorable, so I had to share. A little blurb on Lindsay from her website: "I love to write, read, hike, drink espresso, and attempt to keep my plants alive. I am a laugher and a dreamer. Mix all these together and you get me–a lucky writer of middle grade fiction."

-- >; Scones and Sensibility links: {goodreads}, {amazon}, {barnes and noble}, {book despository}

1. What three words would you use to describe Scones and Sensibility?

Humorous, heartwarming, fun

2. What was the inspiration behind the baked goods theme?

Very good question! And the basic answer to this question is that I love food! I love to smell it, cook it, and eat it! And I think that food is a basic human connection that we all share with each other, and I sought to tap into that connection that is not only very strong for us as human beings, but is also something that I love!

3. Do you feel that Polly, the main girl, is a reflection of yourself?

In many ways, yes! I am overly romantic, just like she is, I adore the idea of "true love," I'm simply swept away by elegant things, and my friend and I did act out some of Anne of Green Gables when we were younger!

4. Have you ever been in a similar situation to Polly: a misled attempt at matchmaking, finding out that everything that you wanted was right under your nose, or anything else you can think of?

Thankfully, I never endeavored to take up matchmaking! When I was in Jr High School I did imagine and wish and dream for the perfect family, only to find out that I am probably the luckiest person on earth to have a mom and dad and sisters that are only above and beyond any dream I could've ever had realized.

5. It seems to me that a lot of the story is about childhood innocence and first love. Would I be true in saying that? And what were your fondest memories of childhood that later affected you growing up?

It is about those things. But it's also about celebrating family and friendships and just plain old laughing. Some of my fondest memories from my childhood that have always stayed with me are of sitting around my MomMom and PopPop's big dining room table and listening to the grown ups tell stories from when they were young! I know all of them by heart but still never tire of hearing them!

6. Were there any particular literary influences in writing Scones and Sensibility?

LM Montgomery is definitely one because she created one of the dearest most wonderful characters in all of literature: Anne Shirley. Then, of course, Jane Austen who is brilliance on the page!

7. I noticed that there are some Jane Austen references in your book, what made that time period the most endearing to you? (ie. the men!)

Yes, the men, cause who could resist Mr. Darcy! But also the clothes! I'd love to wear one of those dresses every single day!

8. Do you believe in the concept of “true love?”

I do. I've tried not to, but I simply can't help myself. I've found my true love, John, and no one can convince me that we weren't meant for each other.

9. Favorite:

TV Show? We actually don't have TV so I don't watch anything regularly. We do own all the seasons of The Office which I have to say is the funniest show I've ever seen...EVER
Book? Oh dear! There are waay too many to name just one. But I'll have to go with Anne of Green Gables as number one.
Song? The Beatles: When I'm 64. I grew up listening to The Beatles and that song just always makes me smile
Place to write? In a coffee shop with headphones in and a mocha latte beside me
Vacation destination? I've never been to Hawaii, though I think I'd choose Ocean City, New Jersey over any place!
Way to annoy others? Hmmm...incessant poking in the arm is always fun <-- I agree! :)

10. Do you have any upcoming releases or works-in-progress that we should know about?

I'm working on two projects right now:
The Culinary Year of Gloria Cubbins
My Life as an Omelet

11. And finally, is there anything else you would like to add?

Laugh, cry, dream, believe...and always save enough room for dessert!
 
♥♥♥
 
Lol, love Lindsay's motto (though I tend not to have room for desert, unfortunately)! Thanks goes out towards Lindsay for taking the time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions for me and give us a bit more insight about her new book. I love Jane Austen's Emma, which bears a lot of similarities to Scone and Sensibility's plot, so I'm definitely going to be watching out for this one - and I hope you will too! :)

(Lindsay's also hosting weekly contest to celebrate the countdown towards her book, so check out her blog!)

-- >; Linsay Eland's links: {website}, {blog}