Throwdown Thursday - 3

 
Throwdown Thursday is a meme started by Kate at The Neverending Bookshelf. It is a weekly thing where we tackle books with similar characters, covers, themes, etc. to determine which one rocks more. And it is up to YOU to determine the winner!


I’m a huge, like as huge as the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk, fan of fairy tale retellings. I loved fairy tales as a kid (think Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, etc.), and I used to imagine that I had my own Prince Charming that would bust me out of my miserable little kindergarten, sandbox group. Alas, that did not happen, but I still like to fantasize about it, so I adore young adult, and sometimes childrens, fairy retellings. And that’s the basis of the throwdown for this week:

Fairy tale retellings that are very loosely based off the originals
Examples: Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine and Ash by Malinda Lo



vs.

Fairy tell retellings that basically tell the same exact story in a different way
Examples: Beauty by Rovin McKinley and Goose Girl by Shannon Hale



I provided some examples up there, especially because I didn’t know how exactly to describe each kind of fairy tale retelling; I hope I made sense! Anyways, comment with your vote by next Wednesday, and I’ll round up the results and state my own opinion during next week’s Throwdown Thursday post! :)