Features? & Non-YA Books I've Been Reading

I haven't been around for a while, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two features I started. I made it a survey in case anyone wishes to remain anonymous, but it should only take a minute or two. If you could please click below and answer the two questions, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks. :)


Moving on, I'm going to pass on the IMM because I haven't been buying many books recently, just a couple here-and-there mixed with some interesting fan-fiction (P&P, Howl's Moving Castle... :D). So instead I've elected to share a couple books I've read lately that are not young adult:



Frindle by Andrew Clements

I saw this on the hospital shelf while I was volunteering yesterday and, remembering how much I loved it as a little kid, had to reread it. I love Nick Allen's spunk, so if you haven't read this one, go write it down with your frindle. ;)






Death and the Maiden by Ariel Dorfman

I recently finished this one for English class, and I definitely say READ IT. I wouldn't recommend it for younger readers since it essentially asks: "What would you do if you saw the man that raped you in your house?" The play brings up great questions about the nature of truth and justice, and it's a plus if you're already interested in Pinochet and the Chilean Truth Commissions. If you're sensitive to bad language, I would recommend staying far away from this one, but it's very thought-provoking without being graphic. (As an alternative, there's the rated-R movie, though I haven't watched it yet.)



The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat -- currently reading

I just started this one last night, though I've read some of Danticat's short stories before; her writing is beautiful. If you haven't read any of her works, I can't stress enough that you're missing out and need to start remedying that situation like... NOW. Here's a sample from the first chapter:
"I'm like one of those sea stones that sucks in colors inside and loses its translucence once it's taken out into the sun, out of the froth of the waves."
-pg.2
I really admire Danticat's skill in quickly conveying the main character's insecurities without the off-putting self-pity, and I'm loving the book so far.

So any other Clement-lovers here or anyone that's read the above-mentioned books? I'd love to know and hear your thoughts! :D