The Weekly Debate (1): Blogger Pictures = Likeability?

Before I start, I just want to say thank you to everyone who's reading this and joining me for my first ever weekly debate! I'm still debating whether or not I need a banner for this meme, so look for one in the future - maybe.



This week's question: When a blogger includes his/her picture on a blog, does it affect your opinion of the blog and/or how often you visit it?

I hate to be superficial here, but I have to admit that pictures are pretty important for me. And before you call me a hypocrite (since I have my back turned to the camera in my profile picture), I'd just like to say that I absolutely hate taking pictures, though I'll hopefully be posting a vlog in the near future. Maybe I'll post a picture someday, but I really hate looking at my face, lol.

Anyways, back on subject, pictures are literally worth a thousand words. You can say you're "this" and say your "that," but what ultimately makes me feel like there's a real person behind the computer screen is a picture. It's hard for me to read a review and remember that there's a person who's just like me - talking, breathing, laughing. So when I actually "see" the blogger, I can then envision him/her laughing and squealing over some bad boy and maybe crying with me when his heart is broken. And, sometimes, that's what keeps me coming back.

Now, I'm definitely not saying that bloggers with no pictures are stiff, uncaring, etc. Some of my favorite bloggers don't have easily visible or any pictures at all. Does that make their blog any less awesome? No. However, those bloggers almost always have to have blogs that catch me right off the bat - either with a striking layout, personalities that shine clearly through their posts, or amazing content. A layout can make me want to learn more, and I end up talking to the blogger, only to find that he/she is the sweetest thing alive. That doesn't always happen, but it's definitely one way I learn to love a blog. But I can skip all that if I see an intriguing, beautiful, or funny picture. Yes, content is awesome, but it's you I want to see, whether that be through a picture or words. I'm just not always up to taking the time to read many, many posts before I can get a glimpse of who you are.

And to address one last issue, I'm aware that some of you may be concerned with security reasons. You may have to ward off a few spammers who are stunned by your beauty, but I believe that simply posting your picture is pretty safe as the internet goes. As long as you keep your important information (ie. social security number, address), you should be fine.

My final stance: Yes, blogger pictures can make a difference, though it's not the hugest thing. Relatability is a huge aspect for me when I decide how good a blog is and, therefore, whether I should keep coming back to read it. And I can either can read your personality or I can believe I see it in a picture. Is that superficial? Yes. Does that keep me from assuming things? No. On the other hand, even if there is a picture, I won't continue to read a blog if there's no content and/or personality. Therefore, I would say you don't have to put up a picture, but make sure you're simply you! I'm sorry if that sounds extremely cheesy, lol. :)

(If you're still asking why don't I put up a picture, it's because I'm not willing to look at my face everyday just to attract more readers.)

It's your turn to voice your opinions! What do you think?